American Samizdat

Thursday, December 14, 2006. *
"This is the first time in the history of this country that a court has held that a man may be held by our government in a place where no law applies."


And it doesn't look likely to be the last.


Senator-Elect Sherrod Brown On... Why He Voted For the Military Commissions Act

AMY GOODMAN: Right before the election, you voted for the Military Commissions Act, which stripped habeas corpus. Why?

REP. SHERROD BROWN: I think that if we had done nothing, the prisoners would continue in Guantanamo Bay with no resolution. That will at least move the process forward. They’re either tried, or they’re freed. I didn’t think they should be given more rights than American troops who are court-martialed. I think we can fix that. I think we can make the bill better. I think we ought to go back and do that, come this year.

AMY GOODMAN: Restore habeas corpus?

REP. SHERROD BROWN: Yeah.

AMY GOODMAN: You would support that?

REP. SHERROD BROWN: I would support that.

AMY GOODMAN: Would you introduce that?

REP. SHERROD BROWN: Probably not.

AMY GOODMAN: Why not?

REP. SHERROD BROWN: Because I have other priorities.


Yes... other priorities... where have I heard that before? He voted for it and won't lift a finger against it now. Sherrod Brown is a supporter of the the MCA. He's a "progressive" Demoplican.
posted by Uncle $cam at 8:39 AM
0 Comments:
Post a Comment





Site Meter



Creative Commons License