American Samizdat

Tuesday, November 07, 2006. *
Last weekend I cast my ballot here in Oregon. Before moving here I'd never heard of this system (though anyone can vote absentee). The arguments in favor of it are certainly compelling:


* No waiting for hours in line
* No polling place intimidation
* No confusion about where to go to vote
* No need to make arrangements for childcare or time off from work
* No malfunctioning voting equipment
* No need to hire and train poll workers
* Increased election process integrity through signature verification
* Lower election administration costs
* Increased voter turnout


I don't know enough about it yet to advocate it as a solution to our current voting woes, but I think it's a solution worth investigating. Those in favor of this solution can check out the Vote By Mail Project for information about their state's policies.
posted by Klintron at 12:23 PM
0 Comments:
Post a Comment





Site Meter



Creative Commons License