American Samizdat

Tuesday, March 28, 2006. *
L.A. lucha continua
I spent Monday and Tuesday in Los Angeles. Unfortunately, I missed the massive demonstration over the weekend, when half a million people turned out to protest the latest outbreak of anti-immigrant fervor. But I did get to see a large group of school kids massed outside City Hall, part of a two-day walkout that has stopped traffic on various freeways and generally captured everyone's attention. For these kids, I dedicate this Sham 69 classic.

The LA Times (which has become my favorite mainstream newspaper) had some good coverage, including an interesting article about how DJs on Spanish-language radio stations helped boost the turnout for the weekend's huge march. Meanwhile, on the letters-to-the-editor page, petulant Anglos write in to bemoan the arrogance of uppity brown-skinned people daring to assert their humanity. This letter, from one Judy Herbst of Beverly Hills, really takes the biscuit:
I am appalled at the demonstrations in downtown L.A. protesting the federal government's plan to finally do something about stopping illegal immigration. It is time that people understood what "illegal" means; stop using the word "undocumented." I have nothing against immigrants; my ancestors were immigrants. But they came here legally.

Illegal immigrants are like people who would come to your house and say, "I am a nice person, I want to live here, and you have more stuff than I do. By the way, you have to pay for my medical care and to school my children."

It is time to start enforcing our laws.
Great idea. Then maybe Ms. Herbst can maintain her lovely Beverly Hills lawn all by herself. Someone should send Ms. Herbst as copy of this movie. Perhaps then she'd realize that "illegal immigrants" are like people who would come to your house and keep it tidy for sub-minimum wage with no benefits.

(Cross-posted from Reports from Poisonville.)
posted by The Continental Op at 10:03 PM
0 Comments:
Post a Comment





Site Meter



Creative Commons License