American Samizdat

Sunday, October 24, 2004. *
This MUST be said
Although I would never define my political beliefs as "extremist", I do recognize that many positions I take are well outside the mainstream. A particularly unpopular one is that I strongly advocate a national self-examination from which our country might identify its own policies, attitudes, and actions that contribute to "terrorist" phenomena. It must be clear by now that if we don't make changes in how we interact with the rest of the world's peoples, if we just take a "you vill be assimilated, resistance is futile" path, everybody, including ourselves, will be in deeper and deeper doo-doo.

That is why I have been loath to attach the word "terrorism" to many of the events that have taken place in Iraq and elsewhere. I have seen the insurgency in Iraq to be an understandable response to occupation by a foreign force. I side with those who believe we never should have invaded and should get out yesterday.

I want to make it crystal clear, however, that "understanding" and "condoning" are not the same thing. I have been an unswerving adherent to the principles of non-violent resistance since my father took me to hear Dr. King speak over 40 years ago. But . . .

The capture, emotional and physical torture, detention, and/or killing of aid/relief workers is absolutely unacceptable. Such actions by extremists must be condemned with unwavering certainty by all of us on the Left
posted by total at 2:06 PM
0 Comments:
Post a Comment





Site Meter



Creative Commons License