American Samizdat

Monday, April 26, 2004. *
Six degrees between Ohio and Afghanistan
I received this from one of my former AmeriCorps supervisors,
in response to my bit about the soldiers' coffins controversy.



"I am sure you have seen the media coverage on Pat Tillman, the young Army Ranger who was killed in Afghanistan last week. He had been a football star and turned down a multimillion dollar contract with the NFL to serve his country. Pat was my cousin and the family has requested that I attend the funeral (whenever and wherever that will be; they still can't get the body out because the fighting is so bad).

"I can only say that the news media covering his death and honoring his convictions (not necessarily my own) has been comforting for me. I can only think that the majority of the families that have suffered this kind of loss would receive more comfort from the honest truth and [fully disclosed] recognition of their loved ones' sacrifices, which have followed in the wake of one of our country's greatest dysfunctional behaviors: DENIAL.

"This insane denial system toward reality, which the current administration has perfected to an art, is what will ultimately be our greatest handicap and failure."
posted by mr damon at 11:56 AM
0 Comments:
Post a Comment





Site Meter



Creative Commons License