American Samizdat

Monday, June 23, 2003. *
Lisa Stolarski, who should be blogging, supports Dennis Kucinich.
I don't agree with Lisa's choice. I'll explain why in my next post. But I think Lisa should be blogging more. I hope this encourages her.

Listen folks,

I have not supported a democrat since the 1988 primaries when I was 19 years
old and down with Jesse Jackson. (Please don't laugh, at that time he was
the vocal candidate for national healthcare and childcare.) Since then my
politics have become far more thoughtful than anything I have seen come out
of the Democratic party and I have regarded the Democrats as wavering,
spineless second placers in the political contest to kiss corporate ass.
And for the most part, over the years they have been.

I am faced with a tough decision this election year. There is a fascist
running our country who is holding the whole world hostage (except France,
of course) to oil companies, gmo producers and self appointed World Bank and
IMF policy makers. Women's reproductive choice is seriously at risk of
being overturned. We are in a state of continual war perpetuated by
continual lies and being forced to spend record dollar amounts on the
military. The military money, by the way, is not going to support the
families of our people overseas. The rich are enjoying unprecedented tax
cuts while the country racks up unprecedented deficit. The poor have been
conveniently iced out of the new tax benefits as services to the needy are
being axed back a couple of centuries. Environmental concerns are being
laughed out of Congress while the Court Appointed Despot proposes 1200 new
nuclear power facilities to disgrace our landscape.

I imagine you can guess my tough decision. There is no third party that has
established itself at the lower levels of government sufficiently that the
Left can count on popular support of that party's Presidential candidate.
Yet it is is vital that we change the scene in Washington this year.
Because there is so much at steak and because the whole rest of the world is
counting on us to stop our government from defending and perpetuating
ubiquitous corporate and military exploitation of all places, things and
beings--down to our DNA!--I think we should pick the best of all possible
Democrats and put her or him in office. I never thought I would ever say
this, but I am saying it. Unless the Greens come on the scene with a huge
splash, like, yesterday, I am going to support a Democrat for President in
2004.

I had been leaning toward supporting Howard Dean but the AntiWar committee
has turned me on to this other dude, Dennis Kucinich. He is a Rep from Ohio
and was Mayor of Cleveland. Very popular in California and Wisconsin. His
opinions on the issues are posted on his web site and I am seriously
impressed. Kuchinich is right on about everything, Iraq, the so called "war
on drugs," GMOs, women's right to choose, campaign finance reform, et.
cetera.

So I'm joining the Pittsburgh Anti-War committee in supporting Dennis
Kucinich for President in 2004. Howard Dean is a ray of hope of a few
issues I care about but Dennis Kuchinich may well represent the span of
progressive interests. Please check him out before you vote in the Move-on
Primary, his campaign is grass roots and he could use the kudos. He could
also use some cash if you have some.

http://www.kucinich.us/

Of course, part of me is looking forward to the total collapse of
civilization that George Bush is pushing us toward. In bankrupt Argentina I
learned recently the workers are collectivizing the factories, not in the
style of the Soviets but as independent collective enterprises. Perhaps the
total devastation of the US economy would do the world some good. If you're
looking forward to the post-apocalypse George Bush is your AntiChrist.

Peace Out,
Lisa S.
posted by Philip Shropshire at 7:40 PM
0 Comments:
Post a Comment





Site Meter



Creative Commons License