American Samizdat

Thursday, October 17, 2002. *
Julio Luna... Breaking Free (11 x 14 Pencil). "...The person depicted is confused because I struggle inside with good and evil, but I feel that the good in me outweighs the bad and that I will overcome my negative ways." From The Face Of Time: Prisoner Art Contest 2002 at the Fortune Society. "...There are over 130 artists, from 30 states represented in this contest. Some artists included a brief description of their artwork along with their submission. Others wrote a short paragraph describing what art means to them. The overwhleming message conveyed by these letters is that art provides prisoners with an outlet, as well as a sense of agency,of control over their lives. The artwork gathered in this collection represents over 130 different notions of freedom. It also gives a face to the people who are doing time in American's prisons."
posted by Andrew at 9:23 AM
0 Comments:
Post a Comment





Site Meter



Creative Commons License