American Samizdat

Saturday, October 05, 2002. *
Executive Order

Some say a flight of birds shot up the way

a flock surprised leaps free from field or marsh.

But no, that flash was not just boys at play.

It was a strike and flame more swift and harsh.

Some say the river stopped its glide of light.

Some tried again the doors, but locks were jammed.

Some say the smoke was thick and dark as night —

The slow and subtle suck of being damned.

There was a crack, a roar, then floor to floor,

They fall — the sides like skin just peel away.

Who counts the stars? Who stripes the map of war?

The nudge of earth just said, "Do come this way."

And so America both arms and morns.

God grants the rose. Be wary of the thorns.


White Men Dreaming

Western Lands make room for drums and bones.

While Chinese merchants
abacus their gain,

Our musty Congress sits and drones and drones-

Let's say Columbus better try again.

The Virgin Mary treads
upon The Snake,

But still the greedy banker's feet are cleft.

Do soccer moms rush home to scrub and bake?

Those hearts pump ash, there is no fire left.

Enslaved by protein shakes and C. K. joys,

Technique remains our nation's only end.

The painful beauty of the circuit boys

Is proof that tyranny is on the mend.

Alone and tired, he rides the midnight train,

To read at home, then listens to the rain.

Robert Klein Engler


John Walker's Blues

I'm just an American boy raised on MTV

And I've seen all those kids in the soda pop ads

But none of 'em looked like me

So I started lookin' around for a light out of the dim

And the first thing I heard that made sense was the word

Of Mohammed, peace be upon him


If my daddy could see me now – chains around my feet

He don't understand that sometimes a man

Has got to fight for what he believes

And I believe God is great, all praise due to him

And if I should die, I'll rise up to the sky

Just like Jesus, peace be upon him


We came to fight the Jihad and our hearts were pure and strong

As death filled the air, we all offered up prayers

And prepared for our martyrdom

But Allah had some other plan, some secret not revealed

Now they're draggin' me back with my head in a sack

To the land of the infidel
A shadu la ilaha illa Allah

A shadu la ilaha illa Allah


Steve Earle

posted by riley dog at 3:50 PM
0 Comments:
Post a Comment





Site Meter



Creative Commons License