American Samizdat

Wednesday, September 25, 2002. *
Received in email today:
Dear friends -

Anita Roddick, founder of The Body Shop and a internationally recognized social activist, is under heavy fire by the right wing in America for criticizing George W. Bush and the US government for their record on civil liberties since 9/11. A few vocal people even threatened to boycott The Body Shop.

Meanwhile, The Body Shop -- where Anita is still on the board but
retired from executive duties -- has failed to support her courage and conviction. The Body Shop website has declared that the company stands "full square" behind George W. Bush and the War on Terrorism.

It is disappointing to learn that a once-progressive company would not only sell out its visionary founder because it feared a boycott, but that it would endorse wholesale and without exception the president, his misguided and dangerous open-ended war, and his flagrant disregard for civil liberties.


Tell The Body Shop that you are disappointed in their decision to endorse Bush and his war, and that you stand with Anita in her belief that it is not un-American to speak out against injustice.

Send an email to The Body Shop USA and tell them, "Anita Speaks For Me!"


usa.info@the-body-shop.com

(copy staff@anitaroddick.com to let Anita know you're with her.)

Send this letter on to your friends, and let the silent minority be heard!



I have a lot of respect for Anita Roddick. The Body Shop link is coming off SLA. I went into a Body Shop a few weeks back looking for some hemp lip balm. It cost six bucks! I thought about it, then decided I would continue on down to the Pike Place Market where I was headed anyway for produce, and there, in a natural foods store, I found some groovily-packaged vegan hemp balm for half the price. Well, the point is I almost bought a six dollar stick of hemp lip balm because I liked the Body Shop and what they used to stand for, but if I had known they supported George W. Bush, I wouldn't even have gone in the place. Now I know. (anybody hear anything about Aveda?)
posted by Dr. Menlo at 1:28 PM
0 Comments:
Post a Comment





Site Meter



Creative Commons License