01 February 2008
Guantanamo detainee Abdul Hamid al-Ghizzawi has just discovered he has been infected with AIDS while at the camp. He is dying. His lawyer, Candace Gorman , reacts to Chief Justice John Roberts' decision to deny an emergency motion ordering the military to grant al-Ghizzawi medical treatment:
So there you have it:
- We kidnapped him in exchange for a bounty,
- took him from his wife and daughter,
- tortured him,
- infected him with TB and HIV,
- aggravated a preexisting exposure to Hepatitis B (that had shown no signs prior to his incarceration in our legal black hole)
- and we have hidden him away in solitary confinement with no medical treatment.
The American courts don't care,
the American politicians don't care,
the American people don't care...
and the rest of the world looks on askance...
but doesn't want to step into the fray...
So what do I tell Al-Ghizzawi when I see him next month.... that is ...if he is still alive?
Andy Worthington has more: Horror at Guantánamo: Libyan Detainee Infected with AIDS