American Samizdat

Monday, November 20, 2006. *
In the week before the elections, I created and posted a couple of banners. One said, "Don't Blame Me, I Didn't Vote!"; the other, "Don't Blame Me, I Voted Third Party!". They're still available in a previous post.

But I've been thinking . . . I've previously written copiously on the subject of taking personal responsibility. I still believe that withholding my vote was a responsible action (or inaction, if you wish). In my city and voting district, if I voted, I would have had to vote against my convictions. There were no candidates nor initiatives available that represented my values.

As a citizen of a state and country which at least pretend to be representative democracies, did I fulfill my responsibility? Has raising my voice against fascism, imperialism, and narcissistic, consumerist americanism been enough? Has that constituted my "vote"? I don't really know.

What I do know is that I have not supported the Democratic Party as an acceptable alternative to the Repugnicans, whom I have openly loathed. Nor have I supported either the Greens or Libertarians, since most of them subscribe not to a clear, universal anti-war stance, but simply to an alternative strategy for "winning".

Now that the Democrats have nominally "seized power" I am convinced that liberals and conservatives alike will brush themselves off, shrug their shoulders, and retreat once again into their caves for two years and "wait 'til next time." A lot like Cubs fans, who know that changing the members of the team does not always produce victory, but they keep hoping. Since the Democrats will produce little change, in 2008 the balance of congressional power will be even slimmer than it is now and McCain has a great shot at replacing Doubleduh . . . [more at P!]
posted by ddjango at 8:17 PM
0 Comments:
Post a Comment





Site Meter



Creative Commons License